I recently asked a group of moms what their most valuable resources were during the first days of their baby’s life. I heard everything from newspapers to breastfeeding pillows; text messaging to home cooked meals. For me, it was the Moby.
Anabella lived in an organic purple Moby wrap for the first three months of her life. She fell asleep in the Moby, she saw the beach in the Moby, and she went to two weddings and three different states in the Moby.
Although I never did manage to get Mark to try it on (could it have been the purple?), he agrees: it was indispensable. We’re not unique though. Using fabric or other materials to hold babies close to your body while freeing up your hands – “baby-wearing” – has been around since…well, since babies have!
Recent research proves what parents have known instinctively for years – babies are more content when snuggled close to their mother, especially during that “fourth trimester,” the three months after their birth. According to a study published in the journal Pediatrics, increased carrying leads to 43% less crying on average and 54% less crying during the evening hours!
I can whole-heartedly confirm this. I often couldn’t get my Moby wrap on fast enough in the mornings, and Anabella fell asleep snuggled close in the wrap. Admittedly, the Moby is a lot of fabric, but I liked how secure Anabella was compared to some other carriers I tried. Also, the fabric is so soft. Not only is there nothing between you and the baby, but there aren’t any metal or plastic rings or snaps to deal with. Just 100% cotton!
Moby is generously giving away one wrap from their original or moderns collection. Head over there now and choose your favorite wrap! Already have a Moby? They also make great gifts for expecting moms.
Please remember to leave separate comments for each entry. There are a total of six possible entries.
1. The contest ends on Sunday, March 20th at 5pm.
2. Mandatory: You must visit Moby’s site, and then leave a comment below with the color and style of your choice from the Original or Moderns Collections.
3. One extra entry: “Like” us on Facebook and leave a comment below. (If you already like us, just let us know in a separate comment!)
4. One extra entry: Share this link as your Facebook status.
5. One extra entry: Follow us on Twitter, @otherbabybook and tweet this post.
6. One extra entry: Subscribe to The Other Baby Blog.
7. One extra entry: “Like” Moby Wrap on Facebook.