I’m hungry all the time. Really. After Thanksgiving dinner, I was ready to fill my belly again in about a half hour. My appetite is part inheritance, part nursing mama. Sometimes, when Anabella wakes in the middle of the night, I can’t get back to sleep because I’m so hungry. Other times, I’m searching for something other than a handle of raisins as we head out the door. I’m not big on processed foods, but with a toddler and a book project, my cooking days are not what they used to be.
So I’ve been experimenting, creating easy, nutrient dense, quick snacks to satiate pregnant or nursing moms, or even hungry little bellies. These “bars” are modeled after the delicious, but expensive, Larabars. I’m dubbing them “MegaBars.
1 cup almonds, peanuts, or cashews
1/2 cup coconut oil (health benefits found here!)
1 cup dates, chopped
1/2 cup of shredded, unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup dried fruit (I use whatever’s in the house, usually unsweetened cranberries and cherries)
1 T or more of raw honey (remember, honey is only OK for babies over a year)
a pinch of sea salt
1. Process nuts in food processor til creamy.
2. Add coconut oil and dates and process til finely chopped.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and process til desired consistency. I like a few lumps.
4. Press into a 9×9 pan, or if you’re ambitious, roll into balls, and then roll in more coconut.
5. Chill for ~30 minutes, cut into bars, enjoy at all hours of the day!
Another recipe to come next week!
What are your favorite on-the-go, fill-‘er-up snacks?